I will take you through the different stages of this painting from start to completion.
Before I begin, I’m glad to let you know that this post is sponsored by Jackson’s Art Supplies, which means you will get 10% discount if you purchase from Jackson’s Art Supplies through links in this post.
Session1: initial sketch using just pencils.
I sketched a basic concept of the background
Session2: This is an underpainting using Vandyke Brown oil paint with turpentine, to define initial light & shadow values
this is the first underpainting layer
Session3: this is the 2nd underpainting layer, I started mixing initial colors for face and hands
this is the 2nd underpainting layer
Session4: in this layer, I started mixing the initial colors for the background, as well as adjusting the face colors
Session5: in this layer, I started adding the details to the background
After a couple more sessions, this is the final version of the painting!
Check out my tutorial on how to mix oil colors with easy step-by-step instructions:
- How to Choose a Personalized Custom Art – Tips For Requesting Commissioned Artwork
- DIY Acrylic Painting By Numbers for Adults – Fun Art Projects For Adults
- How To Get a Retro Look for Your Bedroom With Just Four Items | Vintage Color Theme
- Step by Step Painting – Featuring “Arabian Princess” Oil Painting- How I Paint in Oil
- How To Mix Oil Paints for “Coffee Bliss” Painting by GK- Bohemian Color Chart
- How To Mix Oil Paints for Coco Chanel Painting by GK
- My Top Three Favorite Canvas Types For Oil Paintings
- How To Mix Oil Paints – Easy Oil Painting Tutorial
- How To Safely Package An Oil Painting in 5 Steps
- Step by Step Painting – Featuring “Set Me Free” Oil Painting- How I Paint in Oil