In this quick post, I will show you the stages of “Anticipation” painting.
Before I begin, I’m glad to let you know that this post is sponsored by Jackson’s Art Supplies, which means you will get 10% discount if you purchase from Jackson’s Art Supplies through links in this post.
Session1: A quick basic pencil sketch directly on the canvas
Session2: I started defining light and shadow values with Vandyke Brown oil paint diluted with turpentine solvent
Session3: I also mixed a bit of Ivory black with Vandyke brown to define the darkest values
Session4: I tend to start a layer of grayish under-painting to get a sense of what I’m painting!
Session5: I spent some time thinking deeply of what color combination to use, I ended up mixing colors that are close to the natural skin tone for this session…
Session6: worked on the background, I decided to paint shapes that resemble the mosaic. The right side will be a combination of bright colors as a representation of light (or optimism feeling), while the left side is contrasting dark earthy colors as a representation of shadow (or sadness, anxiety feeling)
I added a layer of the transparent Lemon Yellow Hue oil paint over the women’s face. I also worked on the background by adding another layer of similar colors to add depth. This is the final version of the painting.
Do you want to own this piece? More details here
Check out my tutorial on how to mix oil colors with easy step-by-step instructions:
- How to Choose a Personalized Custom Art – Tips For Requesting Commissioned Artwork
- DIY Acrylic Painting By Numbers for Adults – Fun Art Projects For Adults
- How To Get a Retro Look for Your Bedroom With Just Four Items | Vintage Color Theme
- Step by Step Painting – Featuring “Arabian Princess” Oil Painting- How I Paint in Oil
- How To Mix Oil Paints for “Coffee Bliss” Painting by GK- Bohemian Color Chart
- How To Mix Oil Paints for Coco Chanel Painting by GK
- My Top Three Favorite Canvas Types For Oil Paintings
- How To Mix Oil Paints – Easy Oil Painting Tutorial
- How To Safely Package An Oil Painting in 5 Steps
- Step by Step Painting – Featuring “Set Me Free” Oil Painting- How I Paint in Oil
- Step by Step Painting- Featuring “Karma” – Oil Painting Diary – How I Paint in Oil